Sunday, October 21, 2007

The movie 'The Namesake'


I have watched the movie ‘The Namesake’ which was directed by Mira Nair and I should say that it is a very nice movie. It is a very touching story and at the same time very cultured. This has made me to appreciate Mira Nair’s work and I can say that she is indeed a good director. She has directed quite a number of movies and the one I remember is Monsoon Wedding and Missippi Masala. Both these movies are very good in terms of the story line and the way she made both movies to look really ‘cool’. During a conversation with her that is during the Toronto Film Festival, she said that she made this movie because she was inspired after reading the book and also when she was on the plane heading towards one of her far relative’s funeral. Here she felt like a solace between the book and the funeral. This has immediately made her to make this film. Within a week she got the rights and she begin directing the movie. She also stated that Kal Penn flew all alone himself from L.A. directly to her office to see whether he can have the chance to act or not. To his surprise she gave him the chance to act. Mira also stated this movie is very much close to heart and it is all about life. In fact it is one of the greatest journeys that will bring you home. Currently she is working on her next film that is ‘Shantaram’ and this film is based from a novel, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. I really can’t wait to watch this film. Since I like Mira Nair’s movies, I always update myself on what is happening next. Overall I enjoyed every bit and part in the movie and I would consider it as a 5 star movie. All the actors have done a great job especially Tabu who played the role as Ashima and Gogol’s mother, Kal Penn as Gogol and Nikhil and Irfan Khan as Ashoke and Gogol’s father. Although the movie is not really same as in the novel but the originality of the story is there. I wish that one day I could meet all this actors and get their autographs. I would cherish this moment and also keep it as a memorable experience.

No comments: