Saturday, October 13, 2007

Malaysian Folk Tales: Sang Kancil and Sang Buaya


This story is one of my favourites which I will never forget. I remember when I was small, I used to read a lot not only Malaysian folk tales but also from other continents like Europe and Africa. The Sang Kancil and Sang Buaya story was also featured in the television and whenever I come back from school I will immediately on the television and watch. When Dr.Edwin ask us to find Malaysian tales, what came to mind is this story. I am very happy that once again I am able to read the story again. What a flashback. Basically this story is about a mouse deer trick over a crocodile. Sang Kancil wants to cross the river but it does not know how to cross. As a result Sang Kancil asks the crocodiles to queue so that it count. The crocodiles without realizing what actually Sang Kancil wants blindly follows Sang Kancil’s instructions. What happens is the crocodiles has been fooled. The moral of the lesson here is ‘do not get fooled by anyone’. ‘Always think ahead what the other people wants’ These kind of tales can teach students on how to think logically as well as alert them to the surroundings. In a way they will understand themselves better.

No comments: