Monday, October 8, 2007

George Orwell: Shooting an Elephant


Today, we discuss on George Orwell’s ‘Shooting an Elephant’. There are several issues which can be looked upon from this essay. Firstly is the issue of imperialism. Here the story is about taking a life with a coolie more worthwhile than the elephant. It shows how important the value of life. Also the issue of duty where one’s duty will determine one’s action towards the thing that he does. Also the morality of choice where humab beings decision conciles what is right and wrong. In this essay, the question of killing the elephant whether is it right or wrong strongly shows people’s cruelty and vulnerability in perceiving animals are different from human beings.
Today also, I received my first draft on my research paper. Overall it was okay. When I went through my draft I came to notice that I forgot to add my literature review. Anyway Dr.Edwin told me to be more specific on my literature review. I also need to add in more quotations, examples and explanation to support my points. I also noticed that I did a lot of explanation instead of supporting the points and explaining it. Also I have to rework my implication towards education. Since I’m doing on construction of immigrant identities, I have to be careful on certain issues. For example the issue of sex. I accidentally put this statement in America sex has been a way of life whereas in India it is considered entirely taboo. When Mr.Eddie went through this statement, he said not all American practice it. It is only in Hollywood, they do practice it. When I heard this, I felt like laughing because I made a mistake. Also I made a generalization which was not true. Also Dr.Ed stressed that in India, ‘Kama Sutra’ has been practiced many centuries ago. I do know that the concept of ‘Kama Sutra’ do have in India, but it strike my mind . Now I realized the difference of sex between Americans and Indians. So the moral of the lesson I learned today is don’t make generalizations. Always think hand before you something.
So now I’m going to start my second draft. My writing journey begins. Lets see what my second draft has in stored for me this time.

No comments: