Sunday, August 26, 2007

Discussion on research paper: The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri and Jasmine by Bharati Mukherjee


For my research paper, we had a meeting on Wednesday. All of us met in JPPL building to discuss what we are going to do. I will be doing on Jhumpa Lahiri’s novel The Namesake. Firstly, I told Dr.Ed that I will be working on this one novel but actually we have to work on two novels. I said WOW!, so I have to choose another novel. So during the class, I kept thinking which author I am going to work on. I was scratching my head, scribbling all the authors which I knew on a paper until the paper is full of blue ink. Then suddenly, I came across with this author by the name Bharati Mukherjee. Sounds like a sister to Rani Mukherjee, one of the actors in Bollywood movies don’t you think. Actually she is either a sister or actor in Bollywood movie, she is infact a quite well established writer. She has written quite a number of fiction and non – fiction books and most of it touches on Indian immigrants life experiences . One of her novels which I will be working is entitled Jasmine. Both Jhumpa and Bharati are Bengalis from Calcutta and their stories mainly about Indian ‘diaspora’ of immigrants going to a different country and how they cope with the changes and challenges they face in a country which is different from their own of time and space. It’s really interesting to find out what is in tore in their life. It makes you think, appreciate and preserve your own culture. So after the class, I quickly ran down and told Dr.Ed that I will be working on this author and guess what, he said Okay, carry on. So I will be working on two different authors but dealing with the same issue. There will be a lot of research going to be done and I have to go the library to find articles, magazines or journals for this paper. Also Dr.Edwin told us to do an outline of what we are going to do. Over the weekend, I will be working on this. I have to look on the theme which I ‘m going to work on and also the implication towards education in the classroom. I hope friends, you also have started your research paper. So this weekend, I will put on my door ‘RESEARCH IS GOING ON’ . Have fun.

No comments: